The seeds of what was to become Winnetka Covenant Church ("WCC") were sown on the back porch of a home in Winnetka on Chicago's North Shore in the fall of 1927 by a group of immigrant Swedish domestic workers who desired an opportunity to share God's word with one another.
Soon these few Mission Friends - so-called because of their belief in the grace and forgiveness of God offered to all in Jesus Christ - were joined by more as they reached out into the community and offered Bible study and prayer in homes and through the kindness of other churches.
By 1930, the few had become many and were blessed by the need for a church home. Founded on faith, and a mortgage from a member's employer, the "Little Church at Oak and Birch" in Winnetka, IL (picture at left) was dedicated in 1932 and was our home for 32 years. The building still stands and is a private home. Through the Depression, World War II and its immediate aftermath, the church endured.
Then, in the 1950s, the congregation once again welcomed the community in, embracing the many families who were part of the movement from the city to suburbia. Thanks to dedicated pastoral and lay leadership and the grace of older members, programs for children and youth reflected the changes of God's call. The basement of the building became the Sunday School center, Vacation Bible School sprang full blown into life and music leadership brought the choir into a bigger role in worship.
Once again, growth led to a change of location. The current site at Hibbard and Illinois was secured by a member until the congregation could buy it. In 1963, the Fellowship Hall and Sunday School wing were dedicated. The sanctuary, with its soaring spire (picture at right) and Wicks pipe organ, was completed in 1973. Bible Study Fellowship and Nursery School were among the fresh ideas which opened the new space to new people. A Christian Education wing was added in 1999 to accommodate even more intercongregational and community activities.
The WCC Gundersen Memorial Garden and Columbarium were added in 2011.
In 2014, WCC updated the playground equipment and created a very much enhanced play area for children including a large lawn area, picnic tables, shed, playhouse, etc.